Thursday, April 14, 2016

Brothers

A wise man once said, "Brothers don't shake hands, Brothers gotta HUG!!!!!"
Well...sometimes it's a hug...and sometimes it's a headlock.



Colton gets to experience the joys of having a big brother. But...Weston has some big love for his baby "buh-ther." Sometimes he squeezes him so hard that I have to stop him! He just has so much love to give that sweet baby Colton. When he hugs him, he grits his teeth. Some fierce hug giving, let me tell ya! Colton's face below says it all...



People always ask me how Weston is doing. Weston is doing great! Before Colton was born, we talked about Weston being a Big Brother for a long time. Weston was very excited for us to have the baby. He would always tell people that baby Colton was coming "in 5 days." When I told him I was going to the doctor (just for my check-ups), he would say,"Mommy, is the doctor going to pull out Baby Colton today?" I would laugh and think to myself, "If only it were that easy!" The day Colton was born wasn't as happy as I'd hoped it would be. I pictured us all being so excited and happy and taking millions of pictures....but that didn't happen. We took pictures...we tried to act excited....but Hunter and I were still in complete shock from Colton's diagnosis. The first people we saw after Colton was born were Hunter's parents, who brought Weston with them. I'm not sure what it is about seeing your parents (or parents in law) after something big happens, but it just made us cry even more. They were crying, too. It was a sad time for us, and as much as we tried to hide if from Weston, he knew. He has never seen daddy cry before...and it kinda weirded him out. Also, he saw me in the bed with an IV and I think he was worried. He came and saw brother and smiled, but then he just wanted to play on the I-Pad on the couch. They hung around for a little bit, but then went home for the night. Once we got moved to our new room, the mood changed. The next day, Weston came back to the hospital and things were better. He got to hold his brother and he was so proud.




Weston has done really well with having a baby brother. He really does like him! Weston has to see brother as soon as he wakes up in the morning. He always says, "Good morning, buh-ther!!!!!!" When Colton does cry, Weston will say, "Mama, I think he's hun-gee," or, "Mama, I think he wants me to hold him." He also wants to say goodnight to him before he goes to bed and will cry if I won't let him (only because brother is already asleep in his crib and Weston cannot say goodnight quietly).



Weston loves to help brother during his therapy time. He gets down and does tummy time with him or cheers him on. Sometimes he pats him on the booty and says, "Good job, Colton Man!" It's so sweet to watch.





I always thought I'd have my kids closer in age, but I'm thankful they are 3.5 years apart. Weston is a big helper. I send him on little errands in the house in order to help....get diapers, get a burp cloth, get a toy, talk to brother when he's upset, etc.... Weston is the perfect man for the job! Weston is a rambunctious little guy, but he has a heart of gold. When people get hurt or upset, Weston is genuinely concerned. I think God knew what He was doing when He gave Weston a little brother like Colton. Weston is also very smart, and he is going to be able to teach Colton so many things....letters, numbers,colors, etc. I know that Colton is going to love having a big brother to look up to and learn from. I also love that Colton will be able to teach Weston things....patience, compassion, appreciation, humility. I think it's going to be a beautiful relationship...it already is. I am so excited to watch these two grow up together. Weston knows nothing of Colton's diagnosis. And for right now, he doesn't have to. In his eyes, Colton is the perfect little brother...the little brother he always wanted!







1 comment: