Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Knowing Vs. Surprise!


One thing Hunter and I have talked about and have been asked by many people is: “Do you think you would’ve rather known during the pregnancy that Colton had Down Syndrome, or are you glad it was a surprise?” For us, I’m glad it was a surprise. Yes, that first day in the hospital was extremely hard, but I had a sweet baby to hold in my arms. I could see his little nose and eyes and mouth, I could touch his soft little cheeks and skin, I could smell his baby scent, I could hear the noises he made while he ate and slept, I could hold his tiny hands and feet, I could hear him cry. When I was sad and wanted to cry, I’d just love on my little boy and tell myself that he just wants to be loved. He didn’t choose to be born with Down Syndrome. He deserves to be celebrated just like any other child that enters this world. If we would’ve found out during my pregnancy, all we would’ve done was worry. And trust me; we worry enough during pregnancy due to my history with miscarriages. We didn’t need to know that, yet. We would’ve researched on the Internet and found out about all of the things Colton won’t be able to do. Really? People are told every day that they’ll never be able to walk or drive or talk, but then they do. Nobody knows what my Colton can or can’t do. We can’t put limitations on him. He’s his own, unique person and we’ll just have to watch him grow up to see what he can do. We chose not to do the Amniocentesis test because we weren’t going to abort our baby regardless of the results. I’ve heard multiple stories of people who were told they were going to have a baby with DS, but then they didn’t. Some were told they weren’t having a baby with DS, but then they did. I don’t think the test is very accurate. We didn’t ever think we’d have a baby with DS because only 1/700 babies are born with Down Syndrome, but we are some of the lucky few. Finding out your baby has DS, whether during pregnancy or at birth, is not a curse. It’s not the end of the world. It’s a blessing. It breaks my heart to hear that people find out their baby will have DS and they abort the pregnancy. Look at the pictures of my sweet Colton….how could you not want him? How could you not even give him a chance?






Maybe it’s not what you “wanted,” but lots of things in life happen to us that we don’t “want” to happen. Some of those things we don’t “want” to happen end up being the greatest blessings in our life. So even though the first few days and weeks were hard, I’m glad it was a surprise. I’m excited for my journey with Colton, and I’m glad to be inducted into a club that I never knew I “wanted” to be a part of.
Unexpected things happen to all of us. Whatever you’re going through, you will be okay! I am okay! I choose to Trust in the Lord… We love our baby Colton!










“Expect the unexpected because life is full of surprises. Things that you can't prevent from happening because they're meant to happen, but instead of running away from it, you should embrace it, solve it and learn from it.” -Melchor Lim


5 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful family! This blog was wonderfully written. You are right- Colton is truly a blessing. I'm certain you will learn so much more from him than you will ever realize. You have to love his designer genes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love your words!! You are an amazing momma. And my momma heart totally gets what you are saying!!!! He is a precious gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! Mrs Corrie this is Diana Orlando mam,he say hi,well god choose the best warriors to fight,you and your family are ones who he choose for this,because he knows what kind a person's you are,you have the best bless from him,me and my husband understand you because my little boy Alex he born with clef lip and palate defects and we fight with him every single day. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete