Friday, July 7, 2017

18 Months!

18 months ago, the most precious soul joined our family.



Colton is the most easy-going baby. He's pretty much up for whatever we do as a family. When he was born, we were afraid we might be more limited in what we could do as a family because of his Special Needs, but we've quickly learned that is just not the case. We take Colton with us and let him experience everything Weston did as a baby. Colton is not afraid of water, he enjoys playing rough with daddy and brother, he is not startled by loud noises, and he's always up for new adventures. His latest adventure was this past weekend....



Oh, yes we did take that sweet boy tubing! And he absolutely LOVED it! I wish we could've zoomed in a little more on his face because he had the biggest smile! He also loves swimming and riding in the boat.



His prescription sunglasses are kinda my fav. They were expensive, but totally worth it. He owns more expensive sunglasses than I do!



At 18 months, Colton is still army crawling everywhere! He loves the fireplace and gives me the biggest smile when I tell him, "No!" His legs are getting stronger and he can pick us his feet to move them forward when I hold his hands to "walk." His legs are strong enough, but his mid-section is super loosey-goosey. The dude is like a noodle and he is just not stable when he "walks." His PT is ordering basically a unitard for him to wear under his clothes. It makes me laugh when I think about it. We are going to try to see if this will help him hold the middle together...much like spanks. We are anxiously awaiting for it to arrive. Haha. We aren't quite four-point crawling. I think Colton could do it...IF HE WANTED TO! He seriously fights not to do it. He can be SO strong and stubborn when he wants to be. Most days, he gives his PT a hard time. She works hard for the money....so hard for the money! He fights her during the hard stuff, and smiles at her during breaks. What a turkey!

Colton's new trick is to do, "Up, Down, Up Down, Up Down," with his arms. His daddy will say, "Up!" Colton slowly raises both arms up over his head, and as soon as daddy says, "Down!" he throws them down and smiles. It's so cute. They do it over and over and over. We don't have to show him how to play anymore...all we have to do is say the words and he knows the game. Sweet boy is learning! Speaking of words, his Speech Therapist and I think he's starting to say a few words. Last week, he said, "More." I've heard him say, "Ball," when we play ball. He can say, "Mama and Dada," but I can't be sure he associates them with meaning. My mother-in-law asked him if he wanted some juice the other day and she swears he said, "Yeah!" So it's good to see a few attempts at talking. Yay Colton!

We are still working on self-feeding. He can hold his own cup and squeeze pouch, if he wants to. He can pick up a piece of bread and put it in his mouth...but again, if he wants to! He's very capable when he's not being STUBBORN! I've been letting him help bring his spoon to his mouth and he's doing really well with that. He's throwing less food than before, so that's progress, too. He really will eat whatever I make for him...he's not picky! He can eat soft solids, which gives us a lot of options! He only has two bottom teeth and is starting to get one top tooth. So we are about to have 3 teeth! C'mon teeth! You're taking your sweet time!

Overall, Colton is doing really well. He is the busiest 1 year old I know! He goes to gymnastics on Mondays, therapy for 2 hours on Tuesday, therapy for 3 hours on Wednesday, therapy for 2 hours on Thursday, and he did an evening swim lesson in June. Colton will start full-time school soon. I really think it's the best thing for him. Early intervention is KEY in children with Down Syndrome. They usually plateau around age 12 or 13 (from what I hear), so it's so important for him to get help now! And Mama could use a break. Like seriously, I'm about to go to the doctor for my left wrist from carrying a 24 lb. weight everywhere I go...I've been in a lot of pain, lately. Most 18 month olds can walk, but I still have to carry him all of the time...but it won't be long. He WILL walk eventually.......and that day will be oh so exciting!!!!

Happy 1/2 birthday, Colton! We love you so very much!











No comments:

Post a Comment